Log in

Frequently Asked Questions

Question not answered? Submit it here so it can be added to the FAQ!

Does this mean if I'm not certified I can't work? 

Interpreters with a recognized credential will be required for assignments with:

  • SC Government or Constitutional Agencies
  • SC Judicial Department
  • Public colleges & Universities
  • Commission on Higher Education
  • Police Stations
  • State & County Detention Centers
  • Hospitals/Facilities regulated by DHEC

Non-certified interpreters are still able accept assignments with:

  • Private businesses
  • Real estate and private attorneys
  • Private colleges, universities, and trade schools
  • Job trainings
  • Business meetings
  • Religious services
  • Dental and hearing aid appointments
  • Private medical facilities
  • Festivals, concerts, and theatrical productions

What credentials will be accepted by SC RID & SCAD to meet minimum competency requirements? 

  • National Interpreter Certification (NIC)
  • National Interpreter Certification Advanced (NIC:A)
  • National Interpreter Certification Master (NIC:M)
  • Educational Certificate: K-12 (Ed: K-12)
  • Certificate of Interpretation (CI)
  • Certificate of Transliteration (CT)
  • Comprehensive Skills Certificate (CSC)
  • National Association of the Deaf: Master (NAD V)
  • National Association of the Deaf: Advanced (NAD IV)
  • National Association of the Deaf: General (NAD III)
  • Certified Deaf Interpreter (CDI)
  • Certified Deaf Interpreter Provisional (CDI-P)
  • Specialist Certificate: Legal (SC:L)
  • Conditional Legal Interpreting Permit (CLIP)
  • Conditional Legal Interpreting Permit-Relay (CLIP-R)
  • Provisional Specialist Certificate: Legal (Prov. SC:L)
  • Master Comprehensive Skills Certificate (RSC)
  • Reverse Skills Certificate (RSC)
  • Interpretation Certificate (IC)
  • Transliteration Certificate (TC)
  • Board of Evaluation of Interpreters: Advanced (BEI:A)
  • Board of Evaluation of Interpreters: Master (BEI:M)
  • Board of Evaluation of Interpreters: Medical Interpreter
  • Board of Evaluation of Interpreters: IV (BEI IV)
  • Board of Evaluation of Interpreters: V (BEI V)
  • Board of Evaluation of Interpreters Intermediary III 
  • Board of Evaluation of Interpreters Intermediary IV
  • Board of Evaluation of Interpreters Intermediary V

Will SC RID & SCAD accept other assessments/credentials outside of the ones listed above? 

SC RID and SCAD encourages members to reach out and request any other credentials that you would like to be reviewed for considertion. As part of our ongoing partnership we will review the request, research, and vet the credential to see if it can be accepted and added to the list. We ask that you do your due diligence and share as much information and research as possible to support your request. 

Can you give me more information on where recognized credentials will be required?

  • Businesses regulated by the Department of Health and Environmental Control under Title 44.
    • Hospitals: Emergency Departments and Inpatient
    • Any residential care facility and nursing home
    • Crisis units
    • Adult day care facilities
    • Ambulatory surgical and renal dialysis facilities
    • Birthing centers
    • Home health agencies and in-home care providers
    • Hospice care
    • Addiction centers
  • Departments of state government
    • Department of Administration
    • Department of Agriculture
    • Department of Alcohol and Other Drug Abuse Services
    • Department of Commerce
    • Department of Corrections
    • Department of Disabilities and Special Needs
    • Department of Education
    • Department of Health and Environmental Control
    • Department of Health and Human Services
    • Department of Insurance
    • Department of Juvenile Justice
    • Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation
    • Department of Mental Health
    • Department of Motor Vehicles
    • Department of Natural Resources
    • Department of Parks, Recreation and Tourism
    • Department of Probation, Parole and Pardon Services
    • Department of Public Safety
    • Department of Revenue
    • Department of Social Services
    • Department of Transportation
    • Department of Employment and workforce
    • Department on Aging
    • Department of Veteran's Affairs
  • Offices of all statewide constitutional officers
  • Judicial Department
  • Public institutions of higher education
  • The Commission on Higher Education
  • Police Stations
  • County and state detention centers and correctional facilities
  • Any other board, commission, or council created by a statute of SC

Excludes: school districts, school boards, charter schools, and special schools

  • Businesses NOT covered under the Sign Language Interpreters Act
    • Medical offices or facilities not licensed by DHEC
    • Dental offices
    • Physical therapy
    • Audiologists & Hearing Aid Fittings
Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software